Carolyn’s First Decade Fund is a professional development grant designed to help advance the careers of individuals in their first decade of working as media professionals and provide them with access to continuing skills development and to the larger film community.
The Fund’s review panel will select one recipient annually based on received submissions. Submissions are evaluated anonymously. Applicants may be asked to submit work samples. Applicants of all ages welcome as long as they meet all applicant requirements below.
* WIFV Member in good standing;
* At least 3 years but less than 10 years out of school (undergraduate or graduate degree);
* Working in a professional capacity in screen-based media for less than 10 years;
* At the end of the award year, the recipient will present a short written report detailing how the award money was spent, what WIFV professional development programs were attended and how the award contributed to the individual’s professional advancement at this point in her/his career.
The instructions and application are available here.
Each year, the Carolyn’s First Decade Fund recipient receives:
* One year WIFV professional membership to run sequentially with current membership.
* A grant of up to $500 to be used for professional training related to career advancement in film/video. This money can be spent on one or more courses selected by the award recipient and completed within one year of the award. The monies will be paid directly to the institution(s) offering the chosen course(s).
* Admission to ScriptDC and professional development programs offered by WIFV during the award year with advance arrangement with the WIFV office.
* One year of mentoring either by Fund review panelists or another leading professional in the media industry. Recipients will be matched with a mentor that best fits their professional goals and needs.