Every year, the Foundation awards a grant of 10,000 Canadian dollars and a few 5,000 Canadian dollars grants to some filmmakers to assist in the production of a documentary project. The grant is aimed at young video and filmmakers born and living in Africa, Asia or Latin America who want to direct a film in the language of their choice that respects the aims of the Foundation, as explained above. To apply, the video/filmmaker must:
1) complete the Application Form in French, English or Spanish;
2) include a synopsis in French, English, or Spanish (max. 5 pages) that describes the content, characters, situations, theme as well as the treatment and style of the project;
3) send a Vimeo link of a previous completed documentary work. If possible the cassette should be sub-titled or versioned in French, English or Spanish. If the work does not exist in any of these three languages, please send a written transcript of the dialogue and narration in one of the three languages. Send also any visual element (photographs, filmed images, trailer, if available) in support of the proposed documentary project.
4) include a production budget for the documentary, as well as a financing plan which includes the Foundation grant and other sources of proposed or assured financing;
5) present two support letters from partners, NGOs, groups or associations supporting the project
Applications must be sent post paid to the Alter-Ciné Foundation (see the section Contact us). We do not accept applications sent by e-mail. Only applications sent before August 15 of each year (with postal seal) will be accepted. Candidates will be advised of the decisions of the Selection Committee before December 31 of each year.
The grant will be divided in two parts:
1) the first payment of 6,000 Canadian dollars after the project is selected.
2) the final payment of 4,000 Canadian dollars on reception of a Betacam and a DVD copy of the completed documentary.